The course starts by recapping briefly the basics of meditation (e.g. how to sit correctly and some basic meditation methods). Guo Gu will cover some of the meditation principles and methods of practice in Chan tradition. He will then discuss one of the key methods of Chan school – Silent Illumination (Ch. 默照).
By the end of the course, you would be able to have a good understanding of meditation methods, postures, correct attitude towards practice and Chan practice in general. Meditation or practice is a life-long journey. What we aim to do in this course is to provide you with a robust foundation with which you can build upon and deepen your practice further in the future.
Who the course is for:
The course is designed for and benefits all-levels of practitioners. For beginners, we will take you through the basics of meditation which will also be a revision for more experienced practitioners. Guo Gu will be discussing the full range of silent illumination and all are encouraged to come and engage to deepen your practice. Content will be adjusted over the course based on the participants’ overall experience and knowledge. We are confident that you will be able to take something away no matter what your experience is. All are welcome!
– 3rd July 10:00 – 12:00: The basics of meditation (Xin Li)
– 10th July 10:00 – 12:00: Introduction of the course (Guo Gu)
– 17th July 10:00 – 12:00: Principles of meditation and Silent Illumination (Guo Gu)
– 24th July 10:00 – 12:00: Silent Illumination (Guo Gu)
The first session is to prepare you with all the basics of how to meditate. From sitting postures, and using equipment to meditation methods. In the subsequent three sessions, Guo Gu will guide you through the principles and techniques of silent illumination. Each session will have seated meditation practice with a duration varying from 10 to 30 mins.
Location & Transportation:
Open Ealing Arts Centre, Unit 14 School Lane, Dickens Yard, London W5 2TD
Open Ealing is next door to GymBox which is easier to spot. It’s a short 5-10 mins walk from Ealing Broadway Station which is well connected with Central, District and Elizabeth Lines, as well as National Rail and buses. Ealing Common with Piccadilly Line is about 20-30 mins away by walk.
If you drive, you can pay to park at Q-Park Dickens Yard (1 Longfield Ave, London W5 2UQ), Springbridge Multi-Storey (12 Spring Bridge Rd, London W5 2AB), or for free on Gordon Road nearby (Sunday morning is generally quiet, so should be ok to find a space).
– All participants are required to register for the course at the bottom of this page in advance, as we need to prepare mats and cushions for everyone. You may not have a set of equipment if no registration.
– All participants shall aim to complete all four sessions to gain the maximum benefits from this rarely run course. Feel free to skip the first session if you are confident with meditation postures etc.
What to bring or prepare:
– We will provide meditation cushion and mat but not stool. Feel free to bring your own equipment if you like. There are also some chairs available if you like to sit on a chair.
– Would be great if you can bring one or two blankets with you, to cover your knees or shoulder. It’s summer time, so thin one should be fine. We will do our best to provide a blanket, but we are not sure right now in terms of logistics.
– Please wear comfortable clothing without jewellery. Skirt may be uncomfortable if you plan to use meditation cushion. We will ask you to take off any accessories/jewellery like watches during the session.
– We don’t have access to the kitchen at the venue, so please bring a bottle of water to keep hydrated.
– Please leave valuable belongings at home. The venue is secured and has area for bags & belongings. But we don’t want you to take any risk of losing valuables in our sessions.
About Guo Gu:
Guo Gu (Dr. Jimmy Yu) is the founder of the Tallahassee Chan Center, the founder of the socially engaged intra-denominational Buddhist organization, Dharma Relief, and a professor of Buddhism and East Asian religions at Florida State University in the United States. He studied under the late Master Sheng Yen for over 30 years, nine of which as his attendant monk and most senior and closest disciple. He is the author of The Essence of Chan (2012), Passing Through the Gateless Barrier (2016), and Silent Illumination (2021).
The suggested donation for all four sessions is £20. It is on a voluntary basis, and please feel free to donate any amount you feel comfortable and capable of. https://donate.kindlink.com/Dharma-Drum-London/3500
- Do I need to be a Buddhist or prepare to become a Buddhist to learn meditation in Chan tradition? No, everyone is welcome to learn and practice meditation and Buddhist teachings. The only thing we need is an open mind.
- Will the sessions be streamed online? Unfortunately not, we believe personal interactions and a community/sangha is core for practice. Please join us in person if you are able to.
- Is there recommended reading before joining the session? We recommend Guo Gu’s new book Silent Illumination. We will have a few copies to sell during the sessions. You are welcome to buy from us to support us or buy yourself from Amazon.
- Where can I find out more about Chan? We have a selection of materials on our website about Chan, please feel free to explore our website: https://londonchanmeditation.org/what-is-chan/
Dharma Drum London, trading as London Chan Meditation, is a Registered Charity at Charity Commission for England and Wales (charity number: 1200733), a not-for-profit organisation registered at Companies House in England and Wales (company number: 12529304), and a charity for tax purposes at HMRC (reference number: ZD10119).
Our organisation and programmes run entirely on donations. All of our programmes are open to everyone, and no fees are required. For those who are able, you are welcome to give us some support on a one-off or regular basis. Please tick the Gift Aid box to allow us to claim an additional £0.25 for every £1 you donate from HMRC. Thank you!
Amazon will donate 0.5% of the net purchase price to us on your behalf at no extra cost to you when you shop at smile.amazon.co.uk (there is no difference in the price you pay). Simply select us (Dharma Drum London) as your favourite charity by clicking the logo below, or turning on Amazon Smile in your Amazon app under the "Gifting and Charity" setting and searching for "Dharma Drum London".